Laurent Ciman wants to remain with Montreal Impact beyond 2018
Montreal Impact defender Laurent Ciman has told Belgian media he hopes to extend his MLS stay beyond 2018.
The Belgium international, 32, who featured in his country's friendly with Mexico earlier this month, has returned to Europe to train with former club Standard Liege during the MLS offseason.
Ciman, who has a year left on the contract he signed with the Canadian franchise in January 2015, has no intention of returning to Europe, and plans to work on furthering his career in North America when he goes back to Quebec for the start of preseason preparations on Jan. 20.
"My projects are based in the MLS. I have a year left with Montreal, and my goal is to extend my contract in North America after that," said Ciman, whose side missed out on the 2017 MLS postseason and lost the Canadian championship final to Toronto.
"Last season was disappointing, but I hope the new coach will give new momentum to the team."
Ian is ESPN's French football correspondent. Twitter: @ian_holyman