Miguel Almiron overtakes Andrea Pirlo for best-selling jersey in MLS
Atlanta United midfielder Miguel Almiron had the top-selling jersey in Major League Soccer for the 2017 season.
Almiron enjoyed a stellar inaugural campaign in MLS, scoring nine goals and adding 14 assists, and fans in Atlanta and elsewhere took notice.
The ranking is based on overall retail sales of Adidas MLS jerseys on MLSstore.com from the start of the calendar year through the end of the regular season.
The 23-year-old, a finalist for the league's MVP and Newcomer of the Year awards, was not the only Atlanta United player to have his replica jersey fly off the proverbial shelf. Forward Josef Martinez ranked third, Hector Villalba checked in at 15th, Greg Garza finished 18th, and Yamil Asad was 24th.
While Atlanta's showing is impressive, the Seattle Sounders had the most players in the Top 25 with six. That list included Jordan Morris (fourth), Clint Dempsey (sixth), Nicolas Lodeiro (10th), Osvaldo Alonso (11th), Roman Torres (20th), and Cristian Roldan (22nd).
Other teams with multiple entries on the list were New York City FC and the Portland Timbers, with three players each. Meanwhile, the fact that Dom Dwyer played for both Sporting Kansas City and Orlando City in 2017 meant that both teams could claim they had two players on the list.
The remaining players in the Top 10 are Chicago Fire midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger (second), New York City forward David Villa (fifth), Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco (seventh), Orlando City midfielder Kaka (eighth), and New York City FC midfielder Andrea Pirlo (ninth).
Pirlo, who led the league last year, had the league's best-selling jersey midway through last season.
Fifteen countries are represented on the list, as well as 15 Designated Players. Morris was the only Homegrown Player to make the Top 25.
The players showing the most staying power are Dempsey and Sporting Kansas City defender Graham Zusi, who are the only two players to have made the list for the past four seasons. Dempsey had the top-selling jersey in 2014 and 2015.
MLS's 25 top-selling jerseys:
1. Miguel Almiron, Atlanta United
2. Bastian Schweinsteiger, Chicago Fire
3. Josef Martinez, Atlanta United
4. Jordan Morris, Seattle Sounders
5. David Villa, New York City FC
6. Clint Dempsey, Seattle Sounders
7. Sebastian Giovinco, Toronto FC
8. Kaka, Orlando City
9. Andrea Pirlo, New York City FC
10. Nicolas Lodeiro, Seattle Sounders
11. Osvaldo Alonso, Seattle Sounders
12. Diego Valeri, Portland Timbers
13. Jack Harrison, New York City FC
14. Dom Dwyer, Sporting Kansas City/Orlando City
15. Hector Villalba, Atlanta United
16. Darlington Nagbe, Portland Timbers
17. Christian Ramirez, Minnesota United
18. Greg Garza, Atlanta United
19. Giovani dos Santos, LA Galaxy
20. Roman Torres, Seattle Sounders
21. Diego Chara, Portland Timbers
22. Cristian Roldan, Seattle Sounders
23. Chris Wondolowski, San Jose Earthquakes
24. Yamil Asad, Atlanta United
25. Graham Zusi Sporting Kansas City
Jeff Carlisle covers MLS and the U.S. national team for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @JeffreyCarlisle.