Bristol City
Aberdeen
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LA Galaxy sign ex-Union mid Pontius

LA Galaxy
Read

Toronto's Altidore: Video will back my account of tunnel clash with Kljestan

The FC crew examine the clash between Jozy Altidore and Sacha Kljestan, and the reaction from the clubs after halftime.
Following their on and off the field clashes against New York, Ale Moreno believes Jozy Altidore and Toronto FC need a serious change in behavior.

TORONTO -- Toronto forward Jozy Altidore says video backs his account of last weekend's tunnel clash with New York Red Bulls captain Sacha Kljestan, which caused both players to be ejected from the second leg of Major League Soccer's Eastern Conference semifinal.

Toronto appealed Altidore's red card and one-game suspension, discipline that would cause him to miss the first leg of the conference final at Columbus on Nov. 21.

"I think the club's doing a great job handling it and I'm looking forward to being part of both legs against Columbus," Altidore said Thursday.

Altidore said Kljestan initiated the tunnel incident. The two clashed late in the half, with Kljestan giving him a shove.

Jozy Altidore and Sacha Kljestan
Jozy Altidore and Sacha Kljestan had differing accounts of their clash last weekend.

"He came up behind me, tried to like grab or whatever, and I just pushed him off me, and that was it," Altidore said. "Then I walked right into the locker room. I didn't even see or know about the whole brawl thing until later on.

"I was not involved in any way. I defended myself quickly and that was it. The video doesn't lie. And hopefully the league is going to do the right thing, which I'm sure they will."

Kljestan said after Sunday's game that Altidore was the aggressor.

"At halftime, [Altidore] shoved me into the wall," he maintained. "And so I have a clear conscience. I don't feel like I deserve a red card."

Comments