Everton
Leicester CityLeicester City
FT
Leicester CityLeicester City
Newcastle UnitedNewcastle United
FT

Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel joins Common Goal

Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel has become the 32nd footballer to join Common Goal and the fifth from the Premier League.

The 31-year-old will donate one percent of his salary to charity as part of the movement pioneered by Manchester United midfielder Juan Mata.

Mata and Schmeichel are joined by Swansea's Alfie Mawson, Bournemouth's Charlie Daniels and Brighton's Bruno Saltor as the Premier League's representatives.

Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann and UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin have also signed up to take the total number to 34 in the five months since Mata made the first pledge in August.

Schmeichel said: "I first heard about Common Goal through Juan Mata and knew it was something I'd be interested in.

"One of my biggest goals is to not be remembered as just a footballer. When I finish, I would like to carry on with this line of work and hopefully make a real difference to the lives of those less fortunate than me.

"My wife and I have already set up a charity back in Denmark -- Fodbold Fonden -- and now, through Common Goal, I have a great opportunity to give back in other areas of the world as well.

"From the beginning of my time in football, the common thread has always been teamwork and togetherness.

"That's what's going to help you achieve your goals in the end.

"Being part of Common Goal is a chance for me to be part of a different team -- using our influence on the pitch to try to build something off the pitch."

Mata added: "Kasper has been central to some incredible team achievements -- from winning the Premier League with Leicester, to overcoming great odds to qualify for the World Cup with Denmark last month.

"He brings a strong team mentality to Common Goal and is a great fit for what we're trying to achieve."

Rob is ESPN FC's Manchester United correspondent. Follow him on Twitter @RobDawsonESPN.

Comments