Shkupi
LAFC
Portland Timbers
2:30 AM UTC Jul 19, 2018

Torreira can be Arsenal's Kante

Arsenal
Read

Brewster signs first pro deal with Liverpool

Liverpool

Read

World Cup stock: Mbappe rises as Messi, Neymar fall

FIFA World Cup
Read
 By PA Sport

Brighton's Chris Hughton accepts Jurgen Klopp's apology over handshake

Brighton manager Chris Hughton has accepted an apology from Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp after initially not shaking hands following the Reds' 5-1 Premier League victory at the Amex Stadium.

It was the first time the Seagulls had been on the end of a heavy defeat following what has generally been a determined return to top-flight action after an absence of some 34 years.

With emotions running high on both sides, Klopp appeared to briefly snub the Brighton manager as he was approached for a handshake following the final whistle, which led to a heated response from Hughton.

Klopp, though, has subsequently moved to clear up the "misunderstanding," which he said occurred because Liverpool forward "Mo Salah passed my way and I gave him a hug."

Hughton was asked for his take on the issue when speaking at a press conference ahead of Saturday's Premier League match at Huddersfield, and the Brighton boss also looked to draw a line under the matter.

"Credit to Jurgen, he came looking for me afterwards, I was doing the press at the time. I've heard his comments and I very much believe his comments," Hughton said.

"Sometimes it's an emotional game and even from myself when you've been at the bad end of a 5-1 defeat you're obviously not too happy and you can be angry yourself, and possibly my reaction is a little bit different if our result is a little bit better.

"It is an emotional game, occasionally some of these things happen. I do believe what he said that it wasn't something he'd done intentionally. Certainly what you don't want to do is take the emotions out of the game."

Hughton added, in quotes published on skysports.com: "No, (he hasn't contacted me since), but he did come to see the goalkeeping coach and, more importantly, I heard what Jurgen had to say in his press conference [ahead of the Champions League match against Spartak Moscow].

"He didn't have to say that, so I very much appreciate his words. He was very honest about what he said and that shows respect both ways."

Hughton confirmed Brighton had no fresh injury problems ahead of the trip to Huddersfield, who were promoted last season via the playoffs, but go into the match on the back of four successive Premier League defeats.

Comments