Bristol City
5:30 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
Sampdoria
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
Aberdeen
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

Man City's Pep Guardiola 'regrets' Nathan Redmond exchange

Raheem Sterling produced another piece of magic, scoring with the last shot of the game to give Man City a 2-1 win over Southampton.

MANCHESTER -- Pep Guardiola has said that he regrets the animated way he spoke to Southampton Nathan Redmond after Manchester City's win on Wednesday night.

The City boss has been asked by the Football Association to explain his version of events following his animated conversation with the forward as he left the pitch.

He has until 6 p.m. GMT on Monday, Dec. 4, to respond.

Guardiola said he couldn't control himself and said he was also sorry for a similar incident during his time at Bayern Munich when he spoke to his own player Joshua Kimmich.

"I did it in Munich, with my old player Kimmich, I did the same in Dortmund and had regret there after the game and the same now," he told a news conference ahead of City's game with West Ham United on Wednesday.

"I cannot control myself. Hopefully I will improve. What I said is what I said and what Nathan said in his statement."

Redmond said on Twitter that Guardiola was "only very complimentary and positive" and the City boss was grateful for his comments.

Guardiola added: "I admire him as a player and say thank you for his comments but if the FA want my statement again I am able to explain whatever they want. If they don't believe me I don't know what we're doing here.

"When I give you an opinion, I give you an opinion. You can agree or not, but if I'm explaining what happened and the people don't believe me then let's cancel our press conferences and just play the games. If they want to listen to me then I will do it. It's not a problem."

Guardiola has also been criticised for being disrespectful to Southampton and their manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

He said after the game that he was not critical of their tactics despite saying they had set up defensively.

"I played against millions in managers and the different ways they play. I never judge and never will judge the way my opponents play against my team," he added.

"Everyone wants to win the game, definitely. We didn't win clearly because it's so complicated when 10 players defend in the box. They believe that is the best way. I've faced this kind of team a lot in my career and I have to think how to beat them.

"I understand completely to attack with the set pieces. I said to Nathan you have to attack because you have the quality to do that.

"Never in my career, on or off the pitch, was I disrespectful about what they believe they have to do to beat me. It's the same as I do to beat them.

"I saw many Southampton games: he can play the way he played but he can play completely different. They are the team who have created one of the most chances until now. His team can do both things and I expect that they attack."

Jonathan is ESPN FC's Manchester City correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @jonnysmiffy.

Comments