Bristol City

CameroonCameroon
AlgeriaAlgeria
FT
ZambiaZambia
AlgeriaAlgeria
FT

Boudebouz explains why he chose Betis

Football
Read

Farid Boulaya joins Girona

Football
Read

Rennes eyeing Algeria's Feghouli

Football
Read
By ESPN Staff

Lucas Alcaraz outlines Algeria vision

New Algeria coach Lucas Alcaraz has explained what the Fennecs can expect from him after replacing Georges Leekens, and despite the scale of the task ahead of him, has insisted that he isn't afraid of the challenge to come.

The former Granada boss was appointed by the North African giants last week, only days after being dismissed by the Spanish strugglers and replaced by Arsenal legend Tony Adams.

He was a surprise appointment -- particularly considering the nation's reported interest in Aitor Karanka and Joaquin Caparros -- yet despite having no experience of international football or the African game, the new man is confident that he can see the way forward for Algeria.

"We haven't come here to impose our way of doing things. We want to integrate our ideas," he told reporters, as per BBC Sport. "Before coaching in La Liga I didn't have any experience either.

"I have never run a national team but I'm not scared. Every nation's football has its own qualities.

"We are going to bring our ideas while we learn about Algerian football," he added. "I am not hard, I am not soft, I am rigorous, I give and I demand.

"I am going to analyse the needs of the team before I chose the player," he continued. "Our duty is to see all Algerian players wherever they come from. Our choice will be made according to their form.

"I was not contacted before I was fired as Granada coach but only afterwards," Alcaraz added. "I then met with [Kherridine] Zetchi [FAF President] and I was surprised that he knew anything about me."

The 50-year-old will be charged with ending a period of instability for the Desert Warriors, who have had three previous coaches in the last 13 months, with Christian Gourcuff's departure followed by the unhappy tenures of Milovan Rajevac and Leekens.

He will also be expected to lift the North Africans following their miserable campaign at the 2017 Nations Cup in Gabon, where they were eliminated in the group stage, although a dire start to World Cup qualifying means they have their work cut out to reach Russia next year.

It's a situation that Alcaraz has described as "complicated", and while he's vowed that the North Africans will "fight in every match," qualification for the Nations Cup in Cameroon in 2019 feels like a more realistic prospect.

Comments